Debt Counselling and Debt Collection
Over-indebted consumers who have opted to go it alone and not enter the debt counselling process ought to be aware of what debt collectors may not do.
Should a consumer default on their debt and not have reached an agreement with their creditor, the lender may engage the services of a debt collector. Debt collectors are paid a commission which is usually a considerable percentage of the debt owed and they therefore have a significant vested interest in seeing to it that you pay your debt. Although there are many unscrupulous debt collectors out there, they are strictly governed by a set of rules and codes of conduct.
Debt collectors are not allowed to do the following:
- They can’t call you outside of office hours i.e. not before 08H00 and not after 17H00, unless they have your express permission to do so.
- They cannot call your employer regarding your debt.
- They may not call a member of your family, unless to obtain or confirm your contact details. They are also prohibited from discussing the reason for the call.
- Debt collectors may not contact your employer, unless it is to chase up money for child support.
- Should your debt collector contact you via post, they may not indicate the reason or mention debt collection on the envelope.
- Debt collectors may not call you multiple times in the morning or afternoon or this may be construed as harassment.
- Debt collectors must be cordial and may not use profanity.
- You are able to refuse their call when it does not suit you.
- Should you issue a post dated cheque, they may not cash it before the due date.
- Finally debt collectors may not collect funds in excess of what you owe.
Debt-911, your trusted debt counselling partner
If you are concerned at the amount of debt that you have taken on and would like to make inroads into paying off your debt, simply call us, SMS Help to 40935 or fill out the form alongside and a highly trained, Debt-911 counsellor will make contact with you to assess your personal financial situation and give you free advice.